Friday, November 16, 2012

Fear


SPIDERS, I hate them with a strong passion! :( 



In the dystopian setting of 1984, the protagonist was Winston Smith. He hated the totalitarian control that his government has on everyone in his society.  Winston hates the Party passionately and wants to test the limits of their power. He committed multiple crimes throughout the story. Things came risky when he expressed his thoughts in a diary, had an illegal love affair with Julia, and became a part of an anti-Party Brotherhood.  At the beginning, Winston’s constant paranoia led him to believe that sooner or later, the Party was going to catch him. In addition, Winston took another risk by trusting O’Brien, which led him to be in prison. The psychological control O’Brien had over Winston, led to fear, pain, torture, and betrayal.

In prison, Winston was face with his greatest fear at times. O’Brien knew how much Winston feared rats. That fear was used against him, whenever he disagreed with O’Brien and the rest of the Party. It led to Winston betraying his lover Julia. His betrayal toward her was completely wrong. But, if I was in Winston’s same situation, including my fears, my actions would be the same. My greatest fear is spiders. This fear causes me to tense up and get chills. It could be used against me in many ways, but my fear of spiders in very strong and in situations, I crack under pressure!!


No comments:

Post a Comment