Thursday, November 15, 2012

1984- Literary Work


Literary work is imaginative or creative writing. "1984" by author George Orwell is a prime example of literary work. Winston Smith, a member of the Outer Party keeps a journal to express his thoughts, feelings, and dreams. He has lustful thoughts of a girl named Julia, a member of the the Anti - Sex League. One day, Winston meets Julia and during their conversation, she passes him a note that says "I love you". But he desperately wants to know the true meaning behind it. I can relate to this situation because when I had my first crush, I received a letter about him expressing his feelings for me.

Since I can relate to this situation, it deepens my understanding of "1984". Being able to have a real life comparison to the protagonist, makes me already know how he's feeling and why he makes certain decisions. Usually when one has a crush, expressing your feelings to them is not the easiest thing to do. A form of writing would be more preferable. But, the feelings of paranoia and rejection appear. I totally understand the way Winston reacted. Their behavior was normal, because if the controlled dystopian society that they live in.

Winston and I both experienced a similar situation where someone expressed their feelings towards us in a letter. Since Winston doesn't know the true meaning of it, mixed emotions runs through his head.  Although he’s nervous to see how Julia is going to talk to him, he needs to be confident. In my situation, I was brave and went up to the guy and had a brief conversation, putting aside my fear of how he was going to react towards me.

No comments:

Post a Comment